Place of Tourist Interests

The tourism potential for Kannur district is high. The St. Angelos Fort in the Kannur Cantonment, which was constructed in 1505, is a symbol of Portuguese architecture and attracts plenty of tourists. The Thalassery Fort is an important tourist centre. Kannur beach and Ezhimala are known for scenic beauty.

Payyamballam Beach

Tourist Places in Kannur

Payyambalam beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. Here rest the brave nationalist and political leaders like Swadeshabhimani K. Ramakrishna pilla, A.K.G. and Chadayan Govindan. This is two kms away from Kannur town and near the St. Angelos Fort. This beach, having laterite rock jutting out into the sea on one end, is a neat and long one which is a relief to the tourists who seek rest away from the modern city life.

As part of a targeted comprehensive tourism development, this natural beauty spot is fast changing into a tourist center of international standard. It is the famous sculptor and the State Tourism Advisory Committee member, Shri Kanai KunjiRaman who is imaginatively beautifying Payyambalam. In the park attached to the beach, he is preparing a beautiful piece of sculpture, “ a mother with a child lying facing the sea”. this structure has a 80 feet length and 15 feet height. The landscaping of the park is over. The construction of other pieces of art is also going on. The models of folk arts of Malabar including Theyyam are being prepared.

A park for the children also is being arranged here. The aim is to make arrangements to attract children for amusement and exercise. The Payyambalam canal will be widened and deepened without delay for the pleasure boating of the children. A footpath has been brick-laid between the guesthouse and the lighthouse from where sunset can be enjoyed and the beauty of Dharmadom Island towards the south and the headquarters of Ezhimala Navel Academy towards the north can be seen. All the facilities necessary for the tourists and other visitors will be arranged here.

Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu

Tourist Places in Kannur

The Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu is situated 18 kms. Away from Kannur town. It Is one of the known snake parks in the country . The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.

Fort St. Angelo

Tourist Places in Kannur

Facing the sea, this is one of the most attractive centers in Kannur district in Kerala. It is also known as Kannur Fort. This fort is 3 kms away from Kannur town in the western direction. The fort stands close by the Arabian Sea. This fort proclaims the strength and beauty of Portuguese architecture. The two sides of the fort facing the sea was built in a triangular shape. It was Don Francisco De Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy, who laid the foundation stone of this fort with the permission of Kolathiris in 23 October 1505. The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790-it came into the possession of the British. This fort is now under the control of Archaeological Survey of India.

The Arabian Sea, the dense coconut trees, the fishing boats and natural harbor moppila bay are the unforgettable sights, one can have from this fort. Arakkal kettu of historical importance can also be seen from this fort. Different projects are being implemented at the government level to preserve the fort in a good condition. Projects envisage to beautify the fort retaining its antiguity and providing parking area.

Thalassery Fort

Tourist Places in Kannur

This fort which had witnessed many ebbs and tides of history is of much importance to tourists who are interested in historical events. The fort is situated in the Thiruvallippad hill of Thalassery town, 20 kms away from Kannur in the south direction. It was constructed by the British East India Company in the year 1708. this fort has to tell many stories of the victory and defeat of Kalathiri, Tippu Sultan and Pazhassi Raja.

This fort is built of red bricks in an area of two acres. The British used this frt as a jail and currency manufactory. It was here that the leader of the Hyder Ali’s army was imprisoned and the death bed of Swathi Thirunal’s successor was arranged. Thalassery silver coins were also minted here. St. John’s Church is nearby this fort. Here rests Edward Brennen who contributed significantly to the cultural and educational fields of Thalassery. As such this place has assumed the prominence of a pilgrim center.


Tourist Places in Kannur

It is 44 kms away from Thaliparampu and 4500 feet above the sea leve. These huge mountains lay spread over 500 acres of land. This is a dense forest area. One can go by bus upto Pottanplavu. From there jeep can be driven for six kms. After that, 2 km walk by foot. North of Paithalmala is Kudaku forest. At the base of the mountain, a tourist information center and dormitory have been constructed.


Tourist Places in Kannur

Ezhimala, the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an ancient historical site. It is a onspicuous,isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory, 38 kms. north of Kannur. A flouriIshing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the II th century .I It is believed that Lord Budha had visited Ezhimala. An old mosque, believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim retormlst, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare medicinal herbs. Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to occupy a prominent place in the naval history of the country, consequent to the proposal for commissioning the N.aval Academy here.

Pazhassi Dam

Tourist Places in Kannur

(37K.M. east of kannur ) : An ideal retreat for rourists ,the damsite is famous for its scenic beauty. The D.T.P.C provides pleasure boating faciliaties at the reservoir. Accommodation is available at the Project Inspection Bungalow and its dormitories.

Gundert Bungalow

(20.K.M.from Kannur, near Thalasseri twon on the national high way at Illikunnu):Dr; Herman Gundert ,the revered German Missionary, scholar,lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839.It was here that one of the first malayalam dictionaries and the first malayalam newspaper Rajyasamacharam took shape.

Muzhappilangad Beach

(15.K.M from Kannur and 8 K.M from Thalasseri): Black rocks protect this long ,clean beach from the currents of the deep, making it shallows waters a swimmer's paradise.Perhaps this is Keralas only drive- in beach. Where you can drive entire length of 4 K.m .

Moppila Bay

(Moppila Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near Fort St. Angelos. A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water. The bay was famous during the Kolathiris' regime as a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Lakshadweep and foreign countriea, in imports. Today , Mopilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.

Das Residency, Hotels in Parassinikkadavu
Thai Resort
Thapasya Heritage

Login Here

  • User Name
  • *
  • Password
  • *
  • *